Nature brings $84 billion of ecosystem services (e.g. clean air and water) to Southern Ontario, yet costs us $2,750 for every acre of forest developed. Right now, only 4% of Southern Ontario is protected, not the 17% set out as the province's goal in the Biodiversity Initiative. Charitable Land Trusts can provide these services including public access at a small fraction of the cost of buying land by accepting donations ...more »
Lets bring back Grade 13, and with it lets teach the kids things that matter, things that a lot of adults in society don't know, but should. Such as :
How to do Taxes
The Legal System and the Processes
Food Preperation and Nutrition
Physical Fitness (not just gym class, but why and how to exercise)
The current Nuclear Liability Act came into effect in 1976 . The act sets a limit of $75 million in liability for operators of nuclear power generating facilities that has not been updated since.
Ontario should require Bruce Power & OPG to be fully liable for all costs.
Please make it mandatory in the building code to situate all housing to maximize solar gain that would enable the usage of solar panels on all roofs.
Until it becomes part of the building code the development industry has no interest in changing their way of building.
The Energy Minister should not take over the planning of the energy sector in the Province. Listen to the experts in the system don't assume as a Minister of Energy that you know what we should do because you believe someone from the Global Warming crowd. Bad electricity causes prices to rise, good manufacturing jobs to leave the province and energy poverty for people on fixed incomes or people living at or near the ...more »
Like many countries, such as the UK, Ontario needs a policy and identified funding strategy to assist young parents with parenting programs, education, employment programs and the resources to succeed. These approaches are proven successful and much more cost effective than neglecting these young families or subjecting them to ongoing child welfare involvement
Why have a Transit "Cadillac System" and a "Cattle Car System" from Kennedy Station? You are both trying to go Downtown. Voila you have just saved about 5 Billion Dollars. GO's today's trains are only about 30% full. Fill the other 70% with Toronto Standees. Voila Ms. Wynne, you have just fixed Gridlock, without requiring 50 Billion Dollars. This idea, has just fixed Gridlock and saved billions. This idea has "Intellectual ...more »
There are a fair number of suggestions here now that include concerns about accountability (you can find them through a search) I think it would be a good idea for the government of Ontario to define through legislation exactly what "Accountability" means and entails for all institutions, agencies and bodies that are (or should be) accountable to the public in Ontario. Accountability should be required, and consequences ...more »
To pay a living wage for an honest days work is not a sin and does not destroy the economic health of the country as some would have us believe. In FACT the very OPPOSITE is TRUE. The steady decline, over the last 30 years, in the wellbeing of the members of the middle class and below is directly connected to changes in governmental attitudes and their tax changes initiated by the Thatcher/Reagen/Malrony governments. ...more »
Let's incorporate into business taxation an incentive to employee fewer people on a full-time basis rather than more people on a part-time and/or casual basis. A 'liveable wage" begins with working enough hours to actually make a living.
For years now a meal costing less than $4.00 at a restaurant has been subject to only a 6% tax. [Correction, it is 5%, and is GST] The idea behind this is to help lower income people who might occasionally be able to dine out, maybe some fast food places. And for years there were meals at many of these places which came in under the $4.00 mark. So a meal at $3.99 would be taxed 24 cents, [Oops, 20 cets] while a meal ...more »
This is a duplicate proposal - please got to: http://commonground.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Guaranteed-Annual-Income/13802-25935 and cast your support there. A GAI would replace Ontario Works, ODSP and other income supplements / supports. There are other Guaranteed Annual Income proposals on this site as well. Please support them by searching GAI or Guaranteed Annual Income ...more »