The Ontario Liberal Party believes in strong, sustainable communities that are livable, healthy, vibrant, and growing. Communities need cultural, social, and recreational assets that come together to help communities succeed.
The people of Ontario also lead very busy lives. They need to be able to get to school and work with ease, have access to healthy foods for their families, and to enjoy sport and cultural facilities, and need their communities to be building infrastructure that provides a foundation for a liveable community.
We have been helping to build strong, sustainable communities by:
- Making a historic $190 billion infrastructure investment in schools, hospitals, public transit, roads, and bridges.
- Embarking on an ambitious Climate Change Action Plan to fight climate change, reduce greenhouse gas pollution and transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Transforming the GO commuter rail service into an all-day, everyday Regional Express Rail system.
Our plan for fairness and opportunity relies on creating the strong, sustainable communities of the future, which is why we are continuing with a bold agenda:
- The number of scheduled trips across the entire GO rail network is expected to grow from approximately 1,500 per week to nearly 6,000 once the GO Regional Express Rail is delivered by 2024–25.
- The $377 million Green Ontario Fund is helping to make it easier and more convenient for people to reduce their carbon footprint and save money at the same time through programs such as the no-cost smart thermostat.
- The government is investing $1 billion in Ring of Fire infrastructure to create jobs, provide long-term benefits and improve quality of life for people in the region.
The best ideas about how to build strong, sustainable communities come from the people who live in them. So we need your best ideas as we continue to develop our plan in this area.