Making life more affordable is a key objective of the Ontario Liberal Party. Ontario families expect government to work hard to ensure that the costs of everyday life are made more affordable. By focusing on key household costs, the government is able to help families live better lives.
Our government has taken firm action to help make life more affordable for Ontario families:
- The Fair Hydro Act lowered electricity bills by 25 per cent on average for all residential customers to provide significant rate relief and ensure greater fairness in the market, with even greater savings of between 40 to 50 per cent for residents in rural and Northern Ontario.
- The Fair Housing Plan introduced a series of measures, such as an expansion of rent control, to help more people find affordable homes and bring stability to the real estate market.
- The government has introduced a 50-per-cent discount for PRESTO card users who transfer between GO Transit and the TTC.
- Through the Ontario Seniors’ Public Transit Tax Credit, Ontario seniors are now eligible for a refundable credit equal to 15-per-cent of their eligible public transit costs.
- Through the introduction of a full-day kindergarten, families with young children have been saving up to $6,500 per year in childcare costs
There is more to do in this area and we are looking to you to find practical solutions to issues of affordability in day to day life.