1. Equitable access to health care services for Métis in Ontario, needs to not only be perceived to be equal to healthcare services for Métis anywhere in Canada, but actually be equal.
2. Regardless of where they live, Métis need to have equal access to health care services.
3. Need to eliminate systemic & economic barriers to provide adequate, timely and culturally appropriate health care for Métis in Ontario.
1. Need a Métis Health Benefits Program for registered Indigenous Métis residents of Ontario to provide them access to a range of benefits NOT covered by hospital and medical care insurance.
1. “The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) sponsors a Métis Health Benefits program to provide registered Indigenous Métis residents of the Northwest Territories access to a range of benefits NOT covered by hospital and medical care insurance.”
Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) sponsors the Métis Health Benefits program.
And most importantly:
1. Truth and Reconciliation Commission
TRC Call to Actions
18. We call upon the federal, provincial, territorial, and Aboriginal governments to acknowledge that the current state of Aboriginal health in Canada is a direct result of previous Canadian government policies, including residential schools, and to recognize and IMPLEMENT the health-care rights of Aboriginal people as identified in international law, constitutional law, and under the Treaties."